For sponge cake:
- All-purpose flour: 1 cup (1 cup=250 ml)
- Baking powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Eggs: 3 (giant)
- Egg yolks: 3 (giant)
- Sugar: 0.6 cup
- Honey: 1.5 tablespoon
- Lemon zest: 1 teaspoon
For espresso syrup:
- Robust espresso, brewed: 0.5 cup
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon (or in accordance with your liking)
- Darkish rum: 0.5 cup (or Amaretto, or Marsala wine)
- Espresso liquor: just a little bit (optionally available)
- Mascarpone cheese: 2 cups
- Heavy whipping cream: 1,5-2 cups
- Powdered sugar, sifted: 0.6 cup
- Vanilla extract: 0.75-1.25 teaspoon
- Marsala wine: 1-3 tablespoons (or Amaretto)
- Darkish chocolate, grated: ~55 grams (optionally available)
- Begin with pre-heating the oven to 180C (170C with fan). Coat a 23 cm spherical cake pan, line the pan with parchment paper (optionally available). Sift the baking powder with the flour and put aside.
- In a bowl, set above simmering and steaming water, combine collectively the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, honey and lemon zest till the sugar is totally dissolved. Then whisk the combination with a mixer on excessive pace for about 10 minutes – till the combination is mousse-like and tripled in measurement. Add the flour to this combination and punctiliously combine them with a spatula, to keep away from clumps.
- Pour the batter to the cake pan and bake it within the oven for about 30-40 minutes. Examine by inserting a toothpick. Let the cake cool within the pan for about 5 minutes. Launch the cake from the pan by working a knife across the edges and take away the perimeters of the pan. Let the cake cool for added 10 minutes earlier than eradicating the pan base with parchment paper and placing it on the cooling rack. Cool utterly by placing the cake within the fridge. After it’s cooled, reduce the cake horizontally into three equal sheets.
- For the espresso syrup, pour all of the listed substances collectively and blend it till sugar dissolves utterly.
- For the cream, whisk mascarpone cheese in a bowl till it’s fluffy and mushy and put aside. In a separate bowl whip the cream till it’s fluffy and whipped, then add the ready mascarpone, sugar, vanilla extract, liquor and chocolate, in the event you’re including it. Whisk every thing collectively till effectively mixed.
- Begin assembling the cake by putting your first cake layer on a plate and pour 1/3 of the espresso syrup on it. Unfold 1/3 of the cream on the cake layer. Repeat the method with the 2nd and third layers. With the final third of the cream, unfold a few of it on the perimeters and even every thing out. Adorn the cake by dusting the cocoa powder or sprinkling the chocolate on high. Refrigerate for at the very least one night time earlier than serving. Take pleasure in!
- Notes: Use high-quality espresso. The extra aroma your espresso has, the tastier your cake might be. As an alternative of Marsala wine or Amaretto, I used brandy, however one ought to use a bit much less brandy than listed within the substances. I made a decision to omit including the alcohol to the cream this time. I didn’t add any chocolate to the cream as effectively, however sprinkled it on the cream with every layer. The completed product was a really scrumptious and never overly-sweet cake