Whenever you bake fish, you simply can’t get color on it like you’ll be able to with pan frying, and this implies lack of flavour. So I prefer to both have a flavoured crumb, like I do for my different Emergency Fish recipe, Parmesan Crusted Fish (10 minutes, no messy dredging!) or a Sauce.
The Lemon Cream Sauce for Fish
This recipe actually is all about that Lemon Cream Sauce for fish which is made in the identical pan whereas the fish is baking. It’s a easy sauce which really tastes fairly unimpressive while you first combine it up.
However as soon as it’s baked and the fish juices combine in with it, it transforms into an unimaginable sauce. It’s principally like making a sauce with actual selfmade fish inventory – identical to nice eating eating places do!
What this tastes like
The recipe title implies that the sauce is wealthy however really, it’s not! I describe it as type of mild and recent, but a bit creamy. You can be grateful there’s a respectable quantity of sauce as a result of it’s excellent for mopping up with bread or spooning over mashed potato!
Not very a lot!
- White Fish fillet – any pretty flat white fish fillet is ok right here, about 2 cm/ 4/5 ” thick or much less. Any thicker, and the fish will take longer to bake which can thicken the sauce an excessive amount of so that you’ll have to skinny it with a splash of water.
- Escallot/French onion – these small onions, they’re extra delicate than regular onions in order that they work effectively in a fast fish recipe like this. Use the white a part of inexperienced onions as a sub, or actually finely minced regular onion.
- Dijon Mustard – sauce thickener. Can sub with different non seedy mustards.
- Garlic – goes in nearly every little thing in my world!
- Cream – use heavy / thickened cream in case you can, to assist with sauce consistency. Low cal sub – evaporated milk. It’s not fairly the identical, however I’ve been recognized to make use of it once I’m attempting to be “more healthy” 😂
- Butter – there is no such thing as a substitute! 😂
- Lemon – lime would work in an emergency scenario. Sub: 1/3 cup white wine simmered to cut back to 2 tbsp, use rather than lemon in recipe.
- 4 x 150- 180g / 5 – 6 oz fish fillets , about 1.5cm / 1/2″ thick, skinless and boneless (Notice 1)
- 50g / 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cream, heavy / thickened (See Notice 2 for sub choices)
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp eschallots (French onion) , finely chopped (Notice 3)
- Contemporary parsley and lemon slices , to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F (all oven varieties).
Place fish in a baking dish – make sure the fish is not crammed in too snugly. See video or images in put up. Sprinkle either side of fish with salt and pepper.
Place butter, cream, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a microwave proof jug or bowl. Microwave in 2 x 30 sec bursts, stirring in between, till melted and clean.
Sprinkle fish with shallots, then pour over sauce.
Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or till fish is simply cooked. Take away from oven and switch fish to serving plates. Spoon over sauce, and garnish with parsley and lemon wedges if utilizing.
1. Fish – Any fillets or cutlets/steaks about 1.5 – 2 cm / 1/2 / 4/5″ thick will work nice with this as a result of they prepare dinner rapidly within the oven.
Nice for: Ling (pictured), Tilapia, Snapper, Barramundi, Silver Dory, John Dory, Basa, Hokki, Perch, Flathead
OK for very lean fish like Swordfish, tuna (sauce provides richness!) however be VERY cautious about not overcooking the fish.
Not nice for:
- salmon (too fatty, sauce splits)
- very skinny delicate fish like flounder, Dover Sole
- small entire fish like sardines or mackerel
If utilizing thicker fish fillets that take longer to prepare dinner, you would possibly have to skinny the sauce out a bit on the finish with a tiny little bit of water.
Frozen fish – thaw fully, PAT DRY with paper towels to take away as a lot extra water as attainable. Likelihood is, your sauce might be slightly skinny to your liking as a result of frozen fish drops a lot extra liquid than recent – see Notice 4 for learn how to repair this.
2. More healthy choices – the cream might be substituted with evaporated milk which remains to be fairly good. If swapping with mild cream, enhance mustard by 2 tsp.
3. Eschallots – the small onions, additionally referred to as French Onions in Australia, and simply merely shallots within the US.
Sub with the white a part of inexperienced onions or actually finely minced regular onions. Provides slightly something-something to the sauce so do not go away it out!
4. Sauce – not supposed to be thick and gravy-like. It’s a mild lemon cream sauce, suited to fish. Nonetheless, it shouldn’t be watery.
Sauce consistency will differ relying on the fish that you just use – totally different fish leech totally different quantities of water whereas baking. If you happen to actually need to thicken the sauce, simply take the fish out of the baking dish and return the pan to the oven for a couple of minutes (it should thicken rapidly so control it!)
5. Diet per serving, assuming 180g/6 oz white fish fillets like John Dory/Tilapia are used and that every one sauce is consumed.